Is this cam too big for stock vortec valve springs?

Parts matching help in here.

Moderators: Super Mod, Moderators

Is this cam too big for stock vortec valve springs?

Postby azkevlong » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:51 pm

Stock vortecs cam specs are as follows, this is also for a roller cam- vortec 305/350's 191º/196º 0.414"/.428" lift on a 111º LSA.

I'm wanting to run this flat tappet cam if I can without changing the valve springs on my vortec headed 350- http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-12-230-2/ . Otherwise I'll order these http://www.alexsparts.com/products/VALV ... OLLER.html and use them with the luanati cam that I already have- http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-10001LK/
Former owner 93 S10 :-(

I refuse to be embarrassed by a car that looks like a trapper keeper!
azkevlong
I drink used anti-freeze

Re: Is this cam too big for stock vortec valve springs?

Postby douche_mcgee » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:26 am

I wouldn't use the stock roller springs for a flat tappet.
Go with the springs and that lunati.

That lunati cam is perfect for the street with vortec heads.
1984 2dr 2wd Blazer 357 CID Vortec Heads TH350 3.73 Peg Leg
Ford EDIS Wasted Spark Ignition controlled by MJLJ from http://www.autosportlabs.com/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
True freedom involves freedom from other people's expenses.
douche_mcgee
I make engine noises when I post.

Postby azkevlong » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:23 pm

Care to elaborate why using the roller springs is a bad Idea? We used them with good results on another build with an rv cam in the past, but I'd like to know the reasoning as I'm not helping someone else this time. This time it's my money on the line.

azkevlong
I drink used anti-freeze

Postby superspirit » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:43 pm

Springs for a roller cam tend to have higher spring rates to keep the roller lifter on the lobe, as most roller cams run a much more aggressive profile than a standard flat tappet cam, use of the higher pressures on a flat tappet cam will result in premature wear and flattening of the cam lobes. the roller cam you have listed will work just fine with the stock vortec springs, I do believe the stock springs are good to .450 lift .
superspirit
I eat gummy bears when I post.

Postby lowblazin94 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:54 pm

superspirit wrote:Springs for a roller cam tend to have higher spring rates to keep the roller lifter on the lobe, as most roller cams run a much more aggressive profile than a standard flat tappet cam, use of the higher pressures on a flat tappet cam will result in premature wear and flattening of the cam lobes.

X2
USMC
lowblazin94
Subscribed Member
Subscribed Member

Postby azkevlong » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:58 pm

superspirit wrote:Springs for a roller cam tend to have higher spring rates to keep the roller lifter on the lobe, as most roller cams run a much more aggressive profile than a standard flat tappet cam, use of the higher pressures on a flat tappet cam will result in premature wear and flattening of the cam lobes. the roller cam you have listed will work just fine with the stock vortec springs, I do believe the stock springs are good to .450 lift .

The cams I listed are both flat tappet. I wish I could go roller, but that's way out of the budget for the time being, but in the plans for my 400 build.

azkevlong
I drink used anti-freeze

Postby superspirit » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:00 pm

When I read the first line about the specs for a roller I thought those were the specs of the cam you were wanting, my bad.
superspirit
I eat gummy bears when I post.

Postby lowblazin94 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:02 pm

Ah, made the same mistake too :thumbup:
USMC
lowblazin94
Subscribed Member
Subscribed Member

Postby bwiencek » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:54 pm

Check the specs on the FACTORY hydraulic roller springs - they're actually pretty darn soft as far as a performance spring goes - I'd run them with a flat tappet cam assuming no more than .450 lift. If you're looking for more and are going to either use shorter valve stem seals or cut the guides down then I'd run a better spring.
1985 S10 old claimer 355, TH350, 2800 stall, 9" rear 3.50 spooled, 11.50's - fun on the cheap (building a turbo'd vortec 355 for it over the next year)

1996 S10 ext. cab street beater - Carbed 406Ci, built 700R4, 2800 stall, and no real traction to speak of :)

For all your parts needs call KC Speed Shop at (816)434-8145 and mention V8S10 for discounted pricing
bwiencek
I like to share my knowledge

Postby fuctup » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:46 am

They use the same exact springs for the stock Vortec engines and the 350HO which comes with a flat tappet cam. 80# @ 1.70 with a 250-something spring rate IIRC. I'd go with the Lunati cam you have and new springs though.
fuctup
Im working on unhooking my battery cables.

Return to Small/Big Block Chevy